My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, March 08, 2010

Ron Rash's star rises even Further

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/books/08book.html?hpw

Rash was the feature in the book pages of the NY Times yesterday, day of the Oscars.
I have talked to him on several occasions; and it's the closest I'll get to talkin to Abraham Lincoln.
Rash is a supernal one. I wish my Grandmother Fox coulda stayed with us long enough to read his stories.
Woulda been grand to share and discuss his tales with Uncle Edgar and Uncle Fremont and Papa as they ring true from their stories in Conasauga Tn and Walden's Creek; which for Rash is Wautauga and Madison County NC and surroundings, his Yoknatawpha (sp) County.
He is in the Netherlands in the next few days; and in April he goes to France where his One Foot in Eden is in third printing in French.
They love him there, like they loved Faulkner and justifiably so.
I hope GMM who checks my blog often makes sure the library system in North Georgia and Clay County just across the line is flooded with his work, just as it should NE, Alabama.
In one of his novels a character says to another: Smarts like yours just didn't spring up like a Daisy in a bunch of hogweed. And the more you know about Rash and where he came from, the molding of his character and literary gifts you'll see the same is true of him.
I am proud of http://www.nacc.edu/ in Dekalb County, Alabama for having him read for a day couple years ago as now the whole world is taking notice.
And it should.

PS. Be sure you see what gets said about Wesley Davidson. I know what he is talking about and some of you do too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home