My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bill Walton, Larry Bird and the Pine Grove Sacred Harp

Please come back to this post for revisions as it will be written in some haste.

   Had a delightful two days of Sacred Harp Singing this fourth Sunday and the Sat before at Pine Grove in Collinsville, bout two miles as the crow flies from my front porch. As always the food was outstanding, in the realm of the reputed Alcenia's.
     Talked to a fellow from Indiana who was down with his family. They come about every year but first time I talked to him. Turns out my Furman classmate, Baron Hill was his former congressman. From there he told me a great Larry Bird Story I will share later.
    And after talking to him talked to a woman who flew in with a friend from Portland Oregon. She said in the 70's Bill Walton often road his bicycle in the community parade she organized. She was also a fan of Bob Dylan and I told her my Sam Dylan Story.
   Delightful people far removed from the CBC imbroglio of May 28, 2006 and just three or four miles removed.
    Also wanted to make notice of number 78 song. Told the fellow who requested it had strong resonance with the language of my Grandfather W.D Shorty Fox: "Mine's an urgent and pressing case."   A plea for the Lord's Mercy......

1 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

Here is the Text for 74 on the bottom in the Sacred Harp

Lord, I cannot let Thee go,

Till a blessing Thou bestow:

Do not turn away Thy face,

Mine’s an urgent, pressing case.



Dost Thou ask me who I am?

Ah! my Lord, Thou know’st my name;

Yet the question gives a plea

To support my suit with Thee.



Thou didst once a wretch behold,

In rebellion blindly bold,

Scorn Thy grace, Thy power defy:

That poor rebel, Lord, was I.



Thou hast helped in every need;

This emboldens me to plead:

After so much mercy past,

Canst Thou let me sink at last?


2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home