My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Little Known Great Moments In Gaffney Sports History

   In the past few weeks there has been considerable discussion of the East Jr. Hi Girls run on the state title in 72 at the GAffneyites Group Facebook page. Got me to thinking of other great moments in Gaffney history, though these are quite lesser known than even a Girls JR HI run in a football town; home of Sidney Rice, Danny Parker, Johnny Dawkins, Donnie Ray Littlejohn and his son Donnie, Billy Ray Rice and the greatest of all Ulysees Dawkins who shares the Highest plateau with Wayne Whiteside and Coach Bob Prevatte; and also Mr Sossamon All American at USC and trustee and his son Cody. And the Harris QB who went to Miss State in 62 and Joe Wren and the list goes on and on.

    But in May of 1971 Clark Price and I were down 6-0, 5-0, 40 love in the Three bracket of Doubles in the State tennis championship in Columbia S.C. The year before I got through round one of the 5 singles bracket and the whole team got to stay another day in Columbia and go see Little Big Man.
   But in 71 it was up to me and Clocky--his Dad's Charleston Accent--to save the Day.
   Clarke was Catholic and my Dad a Baptist preacher. So with that point hanging over us that we would have to live with the rest of our lives; I huddled with Clarke and asked if we should pray. He said Fox, you pray and I'll do the sign of the Cross.
   So we did and the rebound began. I think I was servin, best part of my game at the time and we started clickin.
    Won that set and the third. Went back to town Heroes to the Seven people that heard about it. Coach Roger Smoak who finished Furman in 63 with Marshall Frady was proud of us; Uncle Fremont was proud and the other Uncle heard about it. Was a great day in Gaffney as well as the extended family.
   Clark went on to USC Law School and met Ricky High of Florence S.C.-- that night Ricky's Dad came to get them out of jail well that is Clark's story to tell;  and Clark's  Dad as NCAA ref to Los Angeles in 1980 to call the USC/Navy Game.
   We heard him on ABC in Knoxville Tn and said:  That's Vince.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home