My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bama and Jets Greg McElroy; One Rhodes Scholar to another

  U Bama's National Championship and Rhodes Scholar nominee Greg McElroy and I talked tonight on the Paul Finebaum Show.
    I think Greg is the fourth Rhodes nominee I have conversed with. Myself, I was never nominated.
   But my Furman Classmate Dudley Reynolds went far in the competition; UGA Grad, Track star and pastor of Gardenlakes BC in Rome Georgia, Richard Kremer; and fellow who was Furman attorney from Rock Hill, S.C.; I've talked to them. And I've read on recommendation of President Clinton's Oxford roommate Strobe Talbot the Diarmaid McCulloch History of Christianity.

   Finebaum and McElroy both were impressed by my comment and question tonight. I referenced Howell Raines 1984 New Republic piece Farewell to the Bear. Paul said it was one of the best articles on SEC and Bama football in particular he had ever read. and McElroy is on to it now; hope he talks to his Jets Teammate Tim Tebow about it and also bones up on Giberson and Stephens The Anointed.Tim and his former pastor Jerry Vines could learn about from The Anointed.

   My question was about Michelle Obama's reference in Charlotte to "The Long Game". What role does SEC Football have to advance the region.
   Raines says Bear coulda done better by George Wallace. The Blind Side aside, what virtue is possible for so influential a force in the Southeast. Does it have something to say to the darker instincts of the Tea Party for instance.

    MLKing's Pulitzer biographer Taylor Branch will speak at Samford in Bham Oct 16. He has written in The Atlantic about NCAA football with lot of copy on Coach Nick Saban.

    Will be interesting to see going forward to see what Greg says in the off season or in three or four years about all this.
    I have been impressed with him to date, not only his mastery of the chess game of SEC Football, but his character in the Chic Fil A ESPN documentary and his diplomacy these three times I have heard him on Tuesday late afternoons on Finebaum

1 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

Larry Estridge was name of Furman attorney from Rock Hill. He grew up in Jim Deloach church, a significant name in the SBC Travail of the 80's. Tim Tebow's Florida pastor Jerry Vines knows Deloach well. Deloach thought the Red Bull sacrifice was about ready for the Dome of the Rock best I remember.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home