My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Politics from Gaffney to Sand Mtn, Alabama

Its rare that I post two blogs in one day, but been pretty active on facebook today talking politics. Two friends from Gaffney 40 years ago, Cathy Hall (Binky) Littlejohn now in Wyoming and Lee Ramsey still in Gaffney. Thinking about it all as beautiful sunset over Rainsville where I could see where the F5 Tornado came through April 27, 2011 and took 38 lives in the county. Thinking also of the novel Train Dreams and the heavy lyrics to the Sacred Harp songs I sang over the weekend on Lookout Mtn.
    So what else do you do between computer stations when Isaac is threatening HushPuppy and the Big WashTub and Nikki Haley is about to go on stage in Tampa and one of your good friends from Gaffney is in the audience; Of Course you stop in Mack Donald's as they say it here in North Alabama. So that is what I did. Politics on my mind I ask these two kids who they were votin for. One said he already voted. I said you in the military? He didn't want to say who he voted for but finally came out and said Obama; rare for a Caucasian in Dekalb County, Bama where Obama only got 20 percent of the vote in 08; we're talkin the reddest of the red.
      I asked his friend. Kid said I'm only 16. I said if you could vote who would you vote for. He said I don't know; we don't even have cable.
    Which I thought in hysterical way might get to this moment in America.
    But kid said he did know who the Scottsboro boys were, even had talked about it in class.
    Turns out he was from Scottsboro.
    Then again in Gaffney, I had no idea who W.J. Cash was till two years back in town after I graduated from Furman. But it didn't take me long to figure out who Marshall Frady was.
    And I guess that is why I'm voting for Obama.
    P.S. also made a few comments on Andie Macdowell's facebook wall. Shared a link with her to Marilynne Robinson. Maybe between her and Ron Rash Upstate Carolinas and Western North Carolina will vote authentic Christian for some Abraham Lincoln like Candidate in 2032.
    Then again we may all be Mormon Ayn Randites by then!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Hello,

I saw that you posted my poem "Lot's Wife" on babtistlife.com. I'm flattered that you liked it enough to post; however, that poem is copyrighted. Could you please remove it? If you'd like, you could include a link to the poem as it appears on my web site.

www.garyjwhitehead.com

I'd very much appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Gary J. Whitehead

12:51 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Gary, working on it. Good poem. My Dad was a Baptist preacher. His three bullet points on Lot's Wife were
1She was Exhalted
2. She Halted.
3. She Got Salted

Amen

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home