My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, April 01, 2013

Indian Springs, 18-2

     Indian Springs, one of the most elite prep schools in Bama, came to Collinsville Friday night with a record of 18-1, and left 18-2. Collinsville defeated them 3-0 in a signature win for the historic, record setting and always improving all Hispanic Public High School team. Two years ago Collinsville made state history as the first 1-a School to get to the semifinals. That year Indian Springs beat them 7-2.

   It is developing into a good rivalry and I hope it continues. The few parents I talked to during the game were awfully nice people and one mom and dad had just taken their senior to tour my alma mater Furman, though he is leaning toward Washington and Lee where hopefully he will take a journalism class with Doug Cumming. Cumming and I are big fans of the legend Marshall Frady.


    IS is the alma mater of the great novelist from Peru Daniel Alarcon. Alarcon wrote a great piece on eve of 2010 World Cup for the New Republic about soccer and radio in 50's Peru. I went on his facebook wall today say, guess what; we beat you (smile).

      Got word through intermediaries to Governor Bentley and left word with Collinsville Mayor Traffanstedt to take a look at this blog.

     Gonna post on Senator Lindsay Graham of S.C. as well as I got a one to pick with him on Immigration reform. He and Bishop Willimon need to sit down with Jeb Bush and Chic Fil A's Dan Cathy and get the Dream Act Plank of the Path To Citizenship ironed out. Our Collinsville Panthers are exhibit A many Hispanics in America have earned their citizenship and put a stamp on it; no further questions need be asked.

   Here is an excerpt from a feature on Coach Little and the Collinsville Soccer program from last Wedsnesday's lengthy feature in the Ft. Payne Times Journal.

Joseph Wehby moved from Lebanon to the United States with his family when he was a child. His wife, Ann, is from LaFayette, Ga.




Their daughter, Julie, began playing soccer in third grade and joined her first travel team in high school. She attended high school at her father’s alma mater — John Carroll Catholic in Birmingham — and split time between the JV and varsity as a sophomore before starting full time for the varsity as a junior and senior.



Julie married state trooper Micah Little in July 2009. She takes pride in her Lebanese heritage.



“To me, it’s very much a part of who I am,” she said. “My grandparents died in February and April before Micah and I got married in July. I miss them every day. The life they worked to build for them and their family in the United States made a big impression on who I am.



“Because my dad and grandparents were immigrants, I’m emphatic to the situation in which some of my players find themselves.”



     End of quote. Come back and or follow the comments on this blogpost. Hope it gets a wide read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home