My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Lays Potato chips and Westbrook Basketball Fans

    This post is gonna be pretty random day in the life kinda thing. This morning I opened a big bag of potato chips right after breakfast with a pledge to only eat 15. About 30 later I closed the bag but it's that kind of day. Donald Trump had a news conference and further embarrassed the New Yorker, me too....Had two wieners for lunch with Steak and Shake Chili and slaw. Good call.

    This afternoon I was banned from the Westbrook "Christian" Basketball facebook wall. That brings the total to four including the Collinsville Baptist Church, Library and Historical Association and Gaffneyites. Nobody wants to engage a serious exploration of politics especially if Jeeeesus told them what to think. Oh yeah Rick Burgess banned me too on Rickand Bubba wall.

  So far I'm in good standing with the Ga Baptist Christian Index but I'm pushing it.

     I'm not sure some of the Westbrook fan really are Christians. They were calling our boys special ed and saying we got our Shoes at Trade Day. I went on their wall to tell em my Momma had more class than their Momma and they banned me. Also recommended some books for their Christian lyberry: The Anointed by Giberson and Stephens, Evolving in Monkeytown by Rachel Held Evans,  Apostles of Reason by Worthen and Harvard Lit Critic James Wood The Fun Stuff. Was about to wax eloquent, go off on em about Wood on George Orwell and Eton but the provincial barely a step above Rick Burgess probably wouldn't understand anyway; nor would they admit Danny Ford for whom the freeway spur is named--his brother Joe--about a half mile from their campus said on national TeeVee "I shouldn't have went out on the field.".

   And they should google Rick Bragg in Southern Living on Trade Day, " A goat and a Ball Peen Hammer"; and Pat Conroy historical piece on the Great Santini about his trip to the Rome Ga Lyberry. Westbrook folks except for the three or four that are my "frands" are about that classy.

    There are some nice folks who send their kids there. I know some of them and proud of their children, but these fat Mommas--look at their facebook pix, who talk about body odor of Sand Rock Fans and are too effete to sit in a play off game where folks are stacked four deep under the basket; well they just don't appreciate good authentic HS basketball.

   I spoke briefly to the Lafayette Coach at the game Saturday. He was up to scout the game, had a long drive. Had a lot more "class" than a lot of the Westbrook fans. Bear Bryant would say the same thing.

   I could say more with a reference to what Uncle Fremont said about Higgins shoe store on Broad Street in Rome Georgia in 47, but that's enough for now.

    Plus Westbrook is about to get a lesson in humility when they face Lafayette tonight, and LJ Peak never went to their High School and they never got in a pickup game with Kevin Garnett, KayGee!

   Well Little Billy is two on the 21st and Big Andrew is 18 the 24th.

    I got enough for some turkey and dressing at Cracker Barrel tonight and tomorrow its Rome Ga to hear Patrick Phillips at Berry and the FUMC on the lynchings in Forsyth County in 1912, Blood at the Root, while Willimon is holding forth at Wofford. But don't expect anybody maybe two or three, of the Westbrook fans to give a shit.

   God Bless America. As Bobby Kennedy said, "It's On to Chicago and Let's Win There!!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home