My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, May 05, 2017

In Honor of Momma and In Recognition of the Collinsville Class of 2017

      Tuesday was a beautiful day in Collinsville Alabama. I got my seersucker Jacket that I got a good deal on at Banana Republic about 17 years ago and a clean shirt ready to make early break at Collinsville HS cause I thought I had a photo opp lined up for a presentation to the Class of 2017.

    But the assistant principal had opted out on this memorable event and I got flustered and rode into town and signed up to be on the agenda next time State Senator Phil Williams comes to town.

    I did later have a conversation with the head principal who called our newly elected Republican School Superintendent Dr. Jason Barnett, PHD U Bama. It turns out Dr. Barnett has a copy of my friend Sam Hodges For the Love of Alabama on his bookshelf in his office.

    Hoping Sam's book will be in every public library in DeKalb County by mid summer. NACC has a copy but I checked today and the main library in Ft Payne doesn't have For the Love of Alabama nor any other public library in the county: Collinsville, Henegar, Geraldine, Crossville, Ider nor True Blue Plainview. To their Credit Ft Payne and Collinsville do have Sam's novel B Four and his tribute to his exponentially great Civil War Grandparents, Letters to Amanda on their shelves.
    
   At my invitation Sam came to Collinsville in October of 1999 to talk about Letters to Amanda.

    About 20 women should up and the preacher and me and his son John Morgan III, a UVA grad. Mary Catherine Reed was there and delighted to make Sam's acquaintance as Sam got to meet one of my Mother's classmates.

   So it looks like I'm okay now. Right now I'm leaning toward giving this autographed copy to Martha Barksdale and the Local Historical Museum for display and inhouse reading only.

     One of the celebrated journalists, Ron Casey, in Hodges book; Ron's mothers is from Collinsville apparently a contemporary of my Mom of the Class of 1940. I think between Sam and Martha and myself, and Jennifer Cunningham Barber, we can find out who this woman was.

   So this is a good read and from here on out no excuses for Top Ten grads at CHS not to know who Jackson Giles and Judge Frank Minnis Johnson were and their greatness and significance for Bama. When they learn that they jump to the head of the class wherever they take their higher education as 80 percent of the staff of the Bama delegation to DC have no clue.

   And that is sad.

   Countin on Martha cause she makes things happen; Countin on Martha then forthwith to get two copies of Sam's book to the HS library and at least one for the Jennifer Wilkins local public library so she can tell her Auburn friend Mark Wilson next time he comes up.

   Wayne Flynt, Wilson's good friend, who has spotlighted in the NY Times over the weekend will be so proud of all, and Ms Wilkins can act like she thought of it herself.

     Even my friend Rebecca Clayton from her and Roger Dutton's historical facebook wall  will like one essay in this book, about how the Yankees come up short from Rebel women ingenuity to save the family heirloom in the chicken coup when the marauders come through North of Tuscaloosa circa 1863. She can even go down and find the family graveyard where they are all buried.

   Enough fun for now.

   Come back later to see my official subscription in the book.

   There was a picture taken Weds Night at Jacks with a group of grads who happened to be around, including two of the top five grads and a prospect for Berry College. One top fiver opted out and another senior took pause as well.

   Thanks to Emma Box Barkley, the fast ball pitcher who may take the Lady Panthers Softball team to state for taking the picture.

   Her Grandfather Munsey III was great stompin ground friends of Bobby Welch but will take that later.

    Come back later this afternoon for the Official Inscription.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home