My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Friday, August 25, 2017

The Prayer of George W. Truett's Mother circa 1874

      I was baptized in the Truett Memorial Baptist Church in Hayesville NC in 1959 when my father was pastor there. George Truett was born there  about two miles SW of the town in 1867. Find him on Wikipedia, the grandest Baptist of the first half of the 20th Century.

   When he was about seven according the the Keith Durso biography of Truett, in 1874 he and his brother came upon his Mother prostate on the ground one morning weeping and praying to Almighty God. This wife of a Confederate soldier who had several Baptist ministers in her own family seven years after the War Truett tells of her Mother praying:

     She was down on her face before God. I can remember until yet the surprising pathos of her prayers.She said " Lord Jesus, I can never raise this household full of boys like they ought to be reared without Thy help. I will make shipwreck of them without Thy Help. I cannot guide them, I cannot counsel them. I cannot be the woman a Mother ought to be to her children without God's Help. Teach me and Help me every hour.

  Truett said she arose singing and was joyful the rest of the Day.

   That's the stuff of the best of the Baptist witness in America, that's where it comes from.

   Amen.

    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home