My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Words to some of my favorite songs

Traipsing around exploring a notion on bl.com I got inspired to find the words of some of my favorite songs.
Dirty Old Town is on my tribute Video to myself on the occasion of my 50th birthday. I have a grainy video I taped from SNL. If anybody out there knows where I can find the CD or DVD of David Byrne's performance, please let me know. His Marachi band when it got movin was sublime and has never been filmed again to my knowledge.
Would also like Leon Russell's version of Marvin Gaye's Aint That Peculiar. I caught it late one night after I came off the 2nd working at Straight Line in Gaffney summer of 74, best I remember, and have never heard or seen Leon's version since.
But here are some great lyrics.
My apologies for how the transfer ran all the text together.
Maybe I can bring up Lyle Lovett a little Better.

Here is the best from Lyle, maybe the explanation of everything. And after that explanation will put it in context. Only thing comparable is Vesta On "Class" in Woman Named Drown.
John and Susan Weaver Morgan think Edisto is Padgett Powell's best, but they are mistaken; it is Woman Named Drown with the Irrepressible Vesta.
But Now, Lyle

Now there was two little imps
And they was black as tar
And they was trying to get to heavenIn an electric car
And that car wheel slippedOn down the hill
Instead of going to heavenThey went to jacksonville
Singing, Hallelujah

Now the whole deal as Biblical text.

I went to a funeralLord it made me happySeeing all those peopleI ain't seenSince the last timeSomebody diedEverybody talkingThey were telling funny storiesSaying all those thingsThey ain't saidSince the last timeSomebody diedBut you take a look around youDon't it seem like something's missingI said something that weren't missingLord the last timeSomebody diedYou took him from the last timeTo that hallowed groundI'm praying take me to the next time lordSo i can hang aroundThen the people start to lookingAnd some of them start cryingAnd all the little childrenLord they're scaredBecause they ain't never seenA dead man beforeYou took him from the last timeTo that hallowed groundI'm praying take me to the next time lordSo i can hang aroundHe's swimming through that jordanGoing to the other sideBut if it's all the same to you lordI think i'll stay dryNow it's church on sundayIt's a bar on friday nightIt's work on mondayThe preacher lord you know he might singHallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahHe's got church on sundayAnd he got drunk the night beforeAnd he got his good gal when he got homeThe preacher said he wants some more of thatHallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahNow if you want to get to heavenLet me tell you what to doYou better grease your foot up buddyWith that mutton stewAnd when the devil comes after youWith them greasy handsYou just slide on over to the promised landSing hallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahNow there was two little impsAnd they was black as tarAnd they was trying to get to heavenIn an electric carAnd that car wheel slippedOn down the hillInstead of going to heavenThey went to jacksonvilleSing hallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahSing hallelujahThank you, you've been so niceAll my friends they cameNow close the lid down tightlyAnd quit cryingBecause when they close themThey all look the sameAnd grab hold of the handleIt won't be too heavyAnd take me to the graveyardI went to a funeralAnd lord it made me happySeeing all those peopleI ain't seenSince the last timeSomebody...

I hope it is rendered honorably at my funeral along with Some Arvo Part.
Oh, Why the Hell Not while I'm at it.

Arvo on the Virgin MAry

English (Book of Common Prayer):
My soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
For he hath regarded : the lowliness of his handmaiden.
For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his name.
And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
He hath shewed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed, for ever.






foxJoined: 12 Aug 2004Posts: 2951Location: South Dekalb County Bama
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:35 pm Post subject: What's his face

Who wrote the lyrics for Goodbye, that Emmy Lou sings on the Wrecking Ball Artist/Band: Harris Emmylou Lyrics for Song: Goodbye Lyrics for Album: Wrecking Ball I remember holdin' on to you All them long and lonely nights I put you through Somewhere in there I'm sure I made you cry But I can't remember if we said goodbye But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico One place I may never go in my life again Was I just off somewhere or just too high But I can't remember if we said goodbye I only miss you every now and then Like the soft breeze blowin' up from the Caribbean Most Novembers I break down and cry Cause I can't remember if we said goodbye But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico One place I will never go in my life again Was I just off somewhere or just too high But I can't remember if we said goodbye No I can't remember if we said goodbye Goodbye goodbye And then there is the Diddy Wah diddy by Redbone and the true Religion by Leadbelly--see my blog Also Uncle Dave Macon on Evolution And space Traveler of Leon Russell and Joe Cock err. Could not find the words but starts Once while travelin across the Sky This Lovely Planet caught my Eye.... And then of course there is Randy Newman's Rednecks about Lester Maddox, the No Neck Oilmen from Texas, College Men from LSU.... Heard him sing it live in Bham about four years ago. And then there is Talking Heads refrain in I wouldn't live there if they paid me and 16 people in Danny's Apartment. Collinsville Panthers should beat Ider tonight in the Semis of the County Tourney and if the seeds go right, play Crossville tomorrow night at 7 CST in the finals in Rainsville, alabama. Dirty Old Town, Governor One of my favorites Dirty Old Town by David Byrne (Thanks to JerryGarciuh on Livejournal for reminding me how appropos these lyrics are!) Well, there are sixteen people in Danny’s apartment Sixteen people are living in there Remember the days of rent control Grandpa remembers rock and roll These days won’t last forever These days won’t last for long You know, somebody somewhere owes us a favor That’s how things really get done In this World of Opportunities, it’s a Land of Possibilities We wanna live in a dirty old town Building it up, tearing us down With our head in the clouds and our feet on the ground We wanna live - dirty old town Dirty old town Now when the ladies come from Kansas They wear their traditional colors Today the fabrics are ragged and torn The clothes on their backs is all that they own They say, “Don’t draw attention to yourself They’ll tear you apart for a couple of bucks Keep you head down and keep you nose clean ‘Cause people who’re scared do dangerous things” These days can’t last forever These days can’t last for long You know someday things’ll get better Somehow things’ll get done In this World of Possibilities, it’s the Land of Opportunities We wanna live in a dirty old town Building it up, tearing us down With our head in the clouds and our feet on the ground We wanna live - dirty old town Dirty old town These days shoes are worn only on special occasions Battles are fought for fam’ly and nations Maybe you’ll pray, but God isn’t home And there’s no guarantee that justice be done We wanna live in a dirty old town Building it up, tearing us down With our head in the clouds and our feet on the ground We wanna live - dirty old town Dirty old town This entry was posted on Monday, June 12th, 2006 at 1:13 pm by Loki and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site._________________INFORMED GADFLY



foxJoined: 12 Aug 2004Posts: 2951Location: South Dekalb County Bama
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:35 pm Post subject: What's his face

Who wrote the lyrics for Goodbye, that Emmy Lou sings on the Wrecking Ball Artist/Band: Harris Emmylou Lyrics for Song: Goodbye Lyrics for Album: Wrecking Ball I remember holdin' on to you All them long and lonely nights I put you through Somewhere in there I'm sure I made you cry But I can't remember if we said goodbye But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico One place I may never go in my life again Was I just off somewhere or just too high But I can't remember if we said goodbye I only miss you every now and then Like the soft breeze blowin' up from the Caribbean Most Novembers I break down and cry Cause I can't remember if we said goodbye But I recall all of them nights down in Mexico One place I will never go in my life again Was I just off somewhere or just too high But I can't remember if we said goodbye No I can't remember if we said goodbye Goodbye goodbye And then there is the Diddy Wah diddy by Redbone and the true Religion by Leadbelly--see my blog Also Uncle Dave Macon on Evolution And space Traveler of Leon Russell and Joe Cock err. Could not find the words but starts Once while travelin across the Sky This Lovely Planet caught my Eye.... And then of course there is Randy Newman's Rednecks about Lester Maddox, the No Neck Oilmen from Texas, College Men from LSU.... Heard him sing it live in Bham about four years ago. And then there is Talking Heads refrain in I wouldn't live there if they paid me and 16 people in Danny's Apartment. Collinsville Panthers should beat Ider tonight in the Semis of the County Tourney and if the seeds go right, play Crossville tomorrow night at 7 CST in the finals in Rainsville, alabama. Dirty Old Town, Governor One of my favorites Dirty Old Town by David Byrne (Thanks to JerryGarciuh on Livejournal for reminding me how appropos these lyrics are!) Well, there are sixteen people in Danny’s apartment Sixteen people are living in there Remember the days of rent control Grandpa remembers rock and roll These days won’t last forever These days won’t last for long You know, somebody somewhere owes us a favor That’s how things really get done In this World of Opportunities, it’s a Land of Possibilities We wanna live in a dirty old town Building it up, tearing us down With our head in the clouds and our feet on the ground We wanna live - dirty old town Dirty old town Now when the ladies come from Kansas They wear their traditional colors Today the fabrics are ragged and torn The clothes on their backs is all that they own They say, “Don’t draw attention to yourself They’ll tear you apart for a couple of bucks Keep you head down and keep you nose clean ‘Cause people who’re scared do dangerous things” These days can’t last forever These days can’t last for long You know someday things’ll get better Somehow things’ll get done In this World of Possibilities, it’s the Land of Opportunities We wanna live in a dirty old town Building it up, tearing us down With our head in the clouds and our feet on the ground We wanna live - dirty old town Dirty old town These days shoes are worn only on special occasions Battles are fought for fam’ly and nations Maybe you’ll pray, but God isn’t home And there’s no guarantee that justice be done We wanna live in a dirty old town Building it up, tearing us down With our head in the clouds and our feet on the ground We wanna live - dirty old town Dirty old town This entry was posted on Monday, June 12th, 2006 at 1:13 pm by Loki and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site._________________INFORMED GADFLY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home