My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Historic Day in Collinsville, Alabama

I road my bike into town where my Mother was Baptized on this Historic Day. Speaking of Momma, reminder to myself to link the great Gillian Welch song soon.
Went to several places downtown and floated the questions why was it historic. Local historican missed the local angle but all three queries knew of course it was September 11. For Collinsville it his historic cause The Water tower that has stood there since 1920--will try to get the exact date for you soon--stood behind the longtime icon general store Hall's; is coming down.
I know the names of at least three people who allegedly climbed it after midnight and I am sure there are dozens more. I worked there better part of a month on the vicinity fall of 94, I thank it was. I had a lunchtime accident while employed there.
Had a good chat with a Vietnam Vet and told him a joke. He got a good belly laugh out of it. Told me he saw General Westmoreland once in Vietnam. He was in a holding station ready to come home but a Colonel had taken a disliking to one of the units as they were disarming for return to the USA. VC shelled them and killed several soldiers. Westmoreland got word, was pissed and flew in. Gave a speech to calm em down and provided Civilian Air, TWA to fly the rest of em home.
General Westmoreland was a Native of Pacolet South Carolina where there was a great flood in 1908, the waters that ran down from the River you cross on 85 between Spartanburg and Gaffney, just southwest of Cowpens.
Oh, the third reason it is an historic day in Collinsville is it is only the third or fourth time this year I have ridden my bike into town in broad daylight. Long story there, but the major point is I needed a new tire and finally figured out how much air pressure I was supposed to have in it. I was thinking 30 lbs, but with this new tire I can clearly see where I need 50-80 so that is what I got in there now. They never said anything about it when I was at Furman.
Saw couple women, one looked to be a stranger, walking around town. Didn't say anything to em cause last time I did, a phone call was made to Mercer University and I got into a three month imbroglio the aftertaste of which is still bitterroot. Best I could put together woman was from county number 34. Dekalb is 28 and I haven't figured out what 34 is yet. She was carryin a notepad with her and looked official as she was in official county.
So could all come to Historic Day Number 4 Reason.
Reminded me of the line from Randy Newman's song about the Flood of 34 in Plaquemine Parrish:
" President Coolidge come down in a Railroad train
with a little fat man with a notepad in his hand
President say, Little Fat idn't it a shame
what the River has Done
To this Poor Cracker's Land."

As Russ the Revenant said this morning on what is also a historic day for him, not 3:10 to Yuma cause he already saw it:

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!

iRONIES and coincidences: Rebecca Mitchell's daughter just walked by my computer station. She and my friend Ellen are good friends. Ellen is a good woman, a UMC Preacher's Daughter who appreciates Bud Oliver and the FaSoLa.

PS: Jeff who in past years has been audience here; I think I'm gonna have Vesta's testimony up soon for you and the City Councilman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home