My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Melissa Rogers, Marus and the World Made Straight/Preaching

www.christiancentury.org/article.lasso?id=3666

If the above link doesn't work, come back soon cause I will get it right. Great opinion piece in current Century on Preaching Done Right.
I had a long conversation with a fellow Bama revenant last night. Came out in that exchange Melissa Rogers, a top tier Baptist Blogger and activist, full of virtue and intelligence, has roots in the http://www.bcoc.net/ . It makes sense like Ron Rash said about page 202 in World Made Straight: "Smarts like yours didn't grow up like daisies in a bunch of hogweed." Melissa's grandparents were founding members of that historic Baptist Congregation. It made a feature in Life Magazine about the same time Marshall Frady did a profile of Will Campbell in same.
I was trying to solve the riddle of Rogers; where did she come from and how did she get that way. From those grandparents her folks were proff at Southern Seminary before Mohler, the Schaefferite. Google up Melissa's blog and follow her. You'll be a better person and have more hope that the right cause and good thinking will go on as we dinosaurs start leaving the arena.
Melissa's blog: http://melissarogers.typepad.com/melissa_rogers/

In similar vein, Rob Marus is carrying on the true vine witness explaining how Scripture lessons evolve as one conflates with experience. He explains to Jonathan at Bl.com just how that works. I think Ben Cole will get it some day; I'm losing a some hope for Jonathan and my friend William Thornton, though William has shown great insight in other areas.

Here is a snippet of Marus in that exchange:
In summary, I don't think I exchanged one cultural stimulus for shaping my thinking about my faith for another in the absence of scriptural study. It was a wholistic process, and I thnk the piece makes that clear. What studying the history of the Civil Rights Movement made me realize is that all biblical interpretation takes place in a specific cultural context -- and that conservatives and liberals can both get it wrong. I thought that was clear in the piece. Perhaps the only thing I would change about the story (aside from one typo that occurred in editing) was the line about my deciding to have "nothing to do" with conservatism. More accurately, I decided that I wanted nothing to do with adhering to cultural conservatism merely for cultural conservatism's sake. Because, once again, the conservatives were clearly wrong in this case. And realizing that first led me to question whether conservatives could just maybe, possibly be wrong about similarly controversial things today.One interesting tidbit from the religious history of the Little Rock crisis that I just couldn't figure out how to fit in this story, but that is relevant to the above discusssion is this: Wesley Pruden, the Broadmoor Baptist Church pastor and segregationist leader, had a son who is his namesake. You may have heard of Wes Pruden, Jr. He's editor of the Washington Times, favorite newspaper of many modern-day conservative Christians, and has come under fire in the past for beign buddy-buddy with Neo-Confederate organizations. Pruden's Times also leads the current anti-immigration drumbeat. Seems, as we say back home, that the apple don't fall too far from the tree.
Rob Marus

Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:51 am
Location: Our Nation's Beautiful Capital
Website

And just added late update, a link today to an influential national blog. Be sure to consider my comment there
http://blog.faithinpubliclife.org/2007/10/poll_27_percent_of_republicans.html

Back to Fox
Even so I would be surprised if William and Jonathan, even John Killian who supported Ronnie Floyd for prez of the SBC but is a better person than Floyd; would be surprised if these my conservative friends don't feel some quickening of the spirit with the rest of us in this strong piece about good preaching and the courage it takes.
And an update: As you see in comment line I stand corrected about Killian's SBC candidate of 06. Sutton not much better, as Harold Bloom showed us all 15 years ago in the American Religion.
Even so Killian remains in my list of good preachers below; and as just emailed me, he remains steadfast in his support of Bernard Kincaid for Mayor of Bham.

Short list of good preachers.

Billy Fox, my Dad had two good sermons. He past the Christian Century test of preaching born of conviction, rooted in the text, preached with passion.
Fleming Rutledge
Barbara Brown Taylor
Willard Willis
John Killian when he stays out of the CNP and Arlington Group
Dan Vestal
George Truett
Sara Shelton
LD Johnson
Jim Evans, on occasion
Jeff Rogers
Frank Harrington
Willimon
And by reputation, Marc Olson formerly of Snyder, now with John Leland
I heard Jimmy Allen preach a great revival sermon at FBC Knoxville in 1980
And Lincoln was Good at Gettysburg
Randall Balmer at the BJC Luncheon
King in Detroit--Taylor Branch said it was better version that DC March a couple weeks later
And John Kennedy at the Berlin Wall

And as an afterthought today, check this blog and my comments there

http://bteditor.blogspot.com/2007/10/new-bwa-leader-looks-for-sbc-return.html

1 Comments:

Blogger John Killian said...

Brother Fox,
I did not support Ronnie Floyd for President of the SBC in 2006. I was open and public in my support for Jerry Sutton of Nashville. In fact, some credit me with leading the Draft Sutton effort.
Waiting to see about the 2008 election for SBC President.
John Killian

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home