My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Annie Lucas Brown, Jennifer Wilkins, Lucy Lawrence and this POTUS election

I have been toying with a speculative piece on how this presidential election may be seen through these women.
Ms Wilkins is the Collinsville Librarian and an active political person in Collinsville politics; or has that reputation according to the family of former Mayors.
Annie Lucas Brown is 2nd in command in Alabama's State Library Program; and a positive formidable presence. With that I agree with my friend Mart Gray who has visitted Collinsville on several occasions and now serves on a state advisory board of some such with Ms. Wilkins. I understand Ms. Brown has some influence on that board, but I am not clear as the the particulars.
Lucy Lawrence wrote a paper on Collinsville several years ago as part of her Master's or Doctor's degree at the University of Alabama. She emailed me this summer saying it is her understanding Ms. Wilkins has a copy for public viewing in the local library.
The late Peter Jennings of ABC News in his book of Picture Essays In Search of America in the late 90's had a full page picture and small commentary on a section of Collinsville's Trade Day, and the "independent" headset in these parts.

Ms Lawrence now teaches at a small school outside Asheville, NC, Warren Wilson with Ron Rash friend and my acquaintance from Furman Tommy Hays.
In 2002 or so it is my understanding it was at Ms. Wilkins suggestion, Ms. Lawrence interviewed me for her paper; and later a similar confluence placed me in small interview for the 2nd statewide documentary on Collinsvillle.
I did not mean to have so long an introduction, just wondering lately if the larger picture merits a book of some kind on Collinsville, in a similar framework to Tim Tyson's Blood Done Sign my Name; or Susan Shaw's look at her Mother's Bible Study at West Rome.
Without too much of a reach, it could even cover Collinsville's connection to the New York Knickerbockers.
Whatever the merits of such musings, I think lot of folks inside and outside Collinsville would find a transparent discussion among these three women about what they bring to this Historic Presidential vote fascinating indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home