My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Finebaum going to Charlotte; 50 miles North of Gaffney

   Paul Finebaum is taking his jocktalk to Charlotte N.C. I've known about this UTenn grad for sometime, a legend in Bham who was subject of a New Yorker profile last December, but didn't follow him much at all till last fall.
    In October I called in and Talked to Bama QB, now Jets roster and Rhodes Scholar nominee Greg McElroy, "one Rhodes Scholar to another".
    Finebaum said: This ought to be good. But with my first sentence I made a believer out of both of them on air. You can check my October 2012 archive for a report.

    Moving to Charlotte, some Gaffney Indian ought to displace the Georgia Caller. Should just be a matter of time before they gin up a Hoover, Bama/Gaffney Indian preseason opener.

     Bama will miss him for sure; and Coach Nick Saban and Pat Dye may never be the same; some of their luster goes with Finebaum.

    But he's in Charlotte now. Knows who Cormac McCarthy is and that's rare for a Bama Fan.

     Just a matter of time before Paul finds Bridges BBQ on Bypass 74 east of Shelby. Who knows they may put his picture up where Jesse Helms and Billy Graham used to be.

   Here's a link; and do google the New Yorker piece; Reeves Wiedeiman or some such wrote it.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/post_490.html

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

We enjoyed meeting you at Jack's today. When you're in Birmingham, let us know.

2:39 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Kay, email me at my at my alternative address marcodiazz@hotmail.com and put Georgetown in the subject line. Nice Talkin to yall too. Let me know if you see my Tea Party Indictment above.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home