My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Historic OKlahoma meeting High Noon 8-3-06;FU Pastors School

Update Sat afternoon 7:42 Aug 5:
Great link with references to lynchings at Moores' Ford near William and Willie Earle and the 1990 Conference at Furman about it all. In the link you will see the name Schaefer Kendrick. His daughter Beth was alumni director in fall of 73 when I was co emcee of Furman Homecoming Follies. Beth married an attorney and moved to Gaffney where our paths crossed again. Schaefer and AV Huff are great men, truth tellers.
www.creighton.edu/JRS/2001/2001-6.html
In that same link are discussions of Tim Tyson and his book to be discussed by Furman's 750 incoming Freshman this fall, or so the buzz is on campus.

Update Midnight Aug 4: on the historic High Noon in Oklahoma with a cross reference report with attribution to this blog's understanding of the significance of the Meal. I was prophetic indeed, and Happy it went well. Two great lunches in Baptist world today. I could feel the karma as I was downing my hot and sour soup in Traveler's Rest. Do check out the pix in the link, even the Milk and Honey sign in Minca Oklahoma.'
Webb, you got the presence of a Will Rogers poet for sure. My Great Uncle was a doctor in Dewey, want you and Flick to know, a Vanzant.
www.baptistlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3075


Update August 3, A Thursday, 9:10 pm
Had a great lunch with an icon, an iconin the making and a third party, most likely the finest Christian at the table. How do I know? He picked up the check. Icon in making however is doing good works in the area and I gave him some fundraising leads and tips, so I am a good person as well.
Furman proff, Helen Lee Turner came out for David Jasper's final lecture. Helen Lee is in the Fox Lambs Book of Life for her contribution to Ammermans SBaps Observed. Great Essay on how Criswell, Adrian and other end time preacher's demagogged a false construct in the SBC Pastor's conference of the 70's to create havoc in the 80's and 90's, taking advantage of the "mazeway breakdown."
Great ending to the session tonight when the great Gardner Taylor asked the Scot David Jasper which was the stronger signifier, the spoken word or the written word. David said the Spoken to which the Catholic scholar whose name Ratzinger the Pope knows, said Amen in so many words and Gardner agreed. I was there at the end when Chaplain Tipton was asking Jasper about the book on the end of words, and Taylor asked Jasper about a certain NT proff in Glasgow, was he still there. I broached the name of the poet Mary Oliver to Jasper and will follow up with an email singing the praises of the great Arkansas preacher Stephen Hyde whose brother councils Clinton in Lil Rock, a spiritual guide and advisor, if I am not mistaken.
Here is what is likely to happen if I have not overextended my welcome with my sister this week. In about six weeks I hope to come back up this way with a former assistant to the President of Samford U, where we will meet Echol Nix and a Furman Student at the CBarrel on Woodruff Road, and Jesse Jackson's Mother's State Legislator, the Honorable Fletcher Smith, Gaffney HS 1970, Class of Johnny Dawkins and Lynn Mabry; where we will go to Wofford for the academic year inaugural convocation address to hear Bush Staffer Eric Motley recently profiled on front page of the Washington Post.
Oh, buzz on campus is the 750 incoming freshmen are reading Tim Tyson's Blood Done Sign My Name; and Tyson will be on campus in October. I may come up to be visiting adjunct professor and assistant to the character and Remembrance of the University cause good things are happening at same time there is a little trouble in the wings.
Became better acquainted with a Bamian this week, whose last name is same as a month of year. His wife is a lovely person. He ought to bring her out in public more often.
Edgar Mcknight is one of Furman's treasures, a Baptist natural resource, in the Stewart Newman vein of authenticity and capacity.
Selah

Sfox; some of you may want to see my comment on Burleson's blog today.

Update, evening of August 2. News about Cardinal Ratzinger, now the Pope emerges tonight in the corridors of the Furman Pastors school. Will Campbell, Marney, Willimon, BBTaylor, Ammerman, James Dunn, Stan Hastey, the rich tradition perseveres. Tomorrow Gardner Taylor then it is on the Chicago and a big win there.


August 2: Want to update couple things and provide a link. First, historical note, it was 7 years ago today, August 2, 1999 when my Dad, the Reverend Billy Dan Fox, died. I gave a eulogy on the 5th, my nephew Chad's Birthday. Chad will be 21 on the fifth, has him a fine woman, I'm talking mighty fine, and is on his on pilgrimage. He has a little bit of Uncle Fremont's sense of humor, instincts, and that is a grace note.
I think my Dad got his picture in the Baptist Courier in 1975 or 77 for attending the Furman Pastor's school. Those were the Halycon days, but we press on in that legacy. My Dad was not a scholar, but he had good instinct for where the truth was, could maybe smell it better than he could understand or translate it; at least knowing the wheat from the chaff in his day, the former being Truett, LD Johnson, Stewart Newman, Randall Lolley and Bill Self; as opposed to WA Criswell, Jim DeLoach, Bob JOnes, Falwell, and J Frank Norris. Raised a fundamentalist with Wilbert Welch at Calvary BC, he pilgrimmed out following his higher nature, always however honoring what truth in love his very conservative roots shaped him.
Now here we are with the news of yesterday. Ben Witherington did a stellar job filleting the mish mash of Mohler and Paige and Page on women at the Furman pastors school. I hope an audiotape of his last remarks, especially my public exchange with him about Page only 7 miles away at TAylors, FBC gets in the hands of the local media.
Ben was in Greensboro for the SBC, though I think he is UMC. He lectures internationally, giving us some anecdotes last night about a recent event in Russia.
Gonna be good stuff tomorrow night with Brandon Scott and David Jasper Back to Back: Paul on the Resurrection, Faith of or Faith In; and Jasper on the legacy of the Sacred text in literature.
But here is the lesser thinking.
www.bpnews.org/bpnews.asp?id=23710


Two topics on one post that I will come back to as the week develops. First just in case I get lurkers here who don't frequent www.baptistlife.com/forums ; do want to take you straight to a history making event. A friend and former SBC DOM-- see the oldest man in my profile picture--David Flick is breaking bread High Noon in Enid Oklahoma, Enid with the young icon IMB buck Wade Burleson who broke new ground today according to his cohort Marty Duren at www.sbcoutpost.com . Flick-- www.davidflick.blogspot.com --about five entries down has a review of Carl Kell's Exiled. Flick himself, like me, has been ousted, thrown out of fellowship by wrong headed Baptist community, or a group some of whom are otherwise good people, who have been led astray by a Council of Shadows.
But Flick is gonna sit down at the table of fellowship with one of the most notorious SBCers on the scence now and our mutual good friend David Webb, Poet, also a fundamentalist; they are sitting down for a meal Thursday. I hope they invited Bruce Prescott.
www.baptistlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3014&start=25 online page two of that thread you will see the arrangements.


And speaking of there is a blogger around every corner, here in Furman library had fleeting chat with Ed Babinski, editor of little known collection of testimonials of former fundamentalists including my Dad and Uncle Prentice good friend from Carson Newman in the early 50's, Joe Barnhart, David Montoya, and Billy Graham's Golddust Twins partner Charles Templeton. See if Barry Hankins can find that one in the Baylor Library, Leaving the Fold. Babinski is gonna check on Montoya's Samurai blog and of course, Babinski has one two. Maybe we can all get together with Chuck Morton, husband of Frank Page's secretary just down the road and have a sweet time in Jesus, maybe coordinate it with the Flick/Webb/Burleson event and see what karma comes out of it.
Revenants of the Uprisin of 34 in the air here on Furman campus as well.
That was pretty jumbled, so forgive me but I will come back to it.
Meanwhile, encountered a phenomenal mind here at the Furman Pastors school tonight in the personage of David Jasper, Scott, art and film iconoclast. He wasn't familiar with James Wood, but I will not hold that against him. Has a nice wife and two attractive daughters. A group viewing of the Oscar South African film Tsotsi in the Furman Library is a possibility as the week unfolds. I think I'm going to send him home later in the week with a copy of the Ron Rash novel One Foot in Eden, and an original script a friend and I have collaborated on other sophisticates have found 1) "brilliant, wonderful, I loved it" 2) "pandemoniously picaresque."
Jasper's interest is piqued. Looking forward to further conversations the likes Of which are rare in Collinsville except with my friend James on the bench at the Pig--I do not say thay facetiously, he is a great man--and our mutual friend Don, the knife man at Trade Day.
More later as I strive to compartmentalize it all distinct from the throwdown with Bonnie Payne.

2 Comments:

Blogger foxofbama said...

I have Jasper reading One Foot. He is phenomenal mind; and I checked his book Theology of the Desert out of the Furman library.
I invited Rash over to Furman for Jasper's Thursday night lecture, but Rash emailed he is in Jackson, Mississippi, doing a book signing and reading there and can't make it. Little longer ride than over from Clempsom.
As for Oklahoma posted on Wade's blog today affirming flick for lunch. Meanwhile here in SC Pitts and Lemons and maybe Miller and I will be fellowshipping at the China Rest in TR.
Ben Witherington tonight slay the dragon BFM 2000. I keyed in on Q and A and discovered this scholar had been in Greensboro for the SBC and filleted Mohler and Paige Patterson on women, but they didn't get it. Referenced Frank Page just 11 miles away in my remark setting up a focussed reply.
Got more insight into Jesus Resurrection, how it really happened on two flanks, Paul and the DuhSiples as Ben III calls em. Said the women were the smartest disciples, but women ain't the smartest ever time, not in my experience, though I give em something over the 12, but no more than the text does.

8:04 PM  
Blogger foxofbama said...

Correction:

Looks like I was off by about two years on Eric Motley at Wofford. He has already come and gone, gave an address September 9, 2004, two years ago.
So looks like the Cracker Barrel meet and ride up to Spartanburg is not in the cards this time.
But Tim Tyson at Furman, I think that may happen

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home