My Photo
Name:

Born May 18, 1953; got saved at Truett Memorial BC in Hayesville, NC 1959. On rigged ballot which I did not rig got Most Intellectual class of 71, Gaffney High School. Furman Grad, Sociology major but it was little tougher than Auburn football players had Had three dates with beautiful women the summer of 1978. Did not marry any of em. Never married anybody cause what was available was undesirable and what was desirable was unaffordable. Unlucky in love as they say and even still it is sometimes heartbreaking. Had a Pakistani Jr. Davis Cupper on the Ropes the summer of 84, City Courts, Rome Georgia I've a baby sitter, watched peoples homes while they were away on Vacation. Freelance writer, local consultant, screenwriter, and the best damn substitute teacher of Floyd County Georgia in mid 80's according to an anonymous kid passed me on main street a few years later when I went back to get a sandwich at Schroeders. Had some good moments in Collinsville as well. Ask Casey Mattox at www.clsnet.org if he will be honest about it. I try my best to make it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby NC at least four times a year.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Attn Annie Lucas Brown: Ron Rash on Obama

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/09/AR2008100903612.html

I was thinking just a couple days ago somebody ought to get Ron Rash's take on the vote in North Carolina.
Turns out as you see above I was about 7 days late. Kathleen Parker, the same who had a scathing piece on Sarah Palin is ahead of the curve on this one.
I have read Serena. I have Rash's autograph, have talked to him on the phone and read two others of his books. I paid him what I think is the highest compliment I can saying my grandmother Helton/Fox had she heard his stories would say that's just the way it happenned; Nanny born in Wears Valley Tennessee out from Pigeon Forge just across the mtn from Cades Cove. Her quarter Indian Mother took her out of school in the 2nd grade to help raise the 7 boys. Nanny woulda known what Susan Shaw is talking about in her book on Baptist women.
Serena is something. You can google up the first chapter online, a knife fight; and from there to to Chapter two where Serena tames an Eagle to swoop down on satin-back rattlers and clear Western North Carolina out for the timber bidniss of the 30's.
The film rights to Serena have sold for goodly sum.
Pat Conroy is a fan.
My acquaintance Annie Lucas Brown ought to join to join me and Mart Gray and my friend in the Gadsden Library--she read the galleys to One Foot in Eden in Denver before moving back this way-- and make sure every library has a copy of Serena in their stacks pronto; at a minimum all of em North of Birmingham.
Get a copy of this novel, Already #7 on Amazon's historical fiction list nationally, just two weeks out in print.
And help me get back in the Collinsville Public Library where I belong; so I can play more cards with JD Shellnutt like God put me on the earth to do (lol)!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Georgia Mountain Man said...

Parker is right on and so is Rash. I must get started on him. When you pointed him out to me the first time, I went to the library and all of his books were checked out. I should have put a hold on one. I guess I might as well add to the already bursting at the seams personal collection. He sounds like one I need to keep handy.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home